Sunday, January 24, 2016

Jake Rose tl;dr

Hey, there. One way or another, you've landed on my website. You may be wondering who I am.

If the URL wasn't enough of a hint, my name is Jake Rose. I'm a twenty-something-year-old who's obsessed with technology. I went to trade school for computer repair, sell computers for a living, and even co-host a technology-themed podcast and co-author an accompanying website. Journalism is more of a hobby, though. I intend on going to school for business or finance because my current job has piqued an interest in microeconomics. 

My mother is Italian and my Dad is half-English, half-Irish. So I'm half-Italian, a quarter English, and a quarter Irish. I was born in the former factory town turned college city of Worcester, MA.

I had a relatively normal childhood although my mother is handicapped, so I grew up on government assistance. Upon graduating high school, I enrolled at my city's university but withdrew shortly thereafter for medical reasons. At the time, I thought it was a bad cold or some sort of severe allergy.

As it turned out I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a type of cancer. So from fall 2010 to summer 2011 that more or less consumed my life. After being cured, I enrolled in the my local community college but again withdrew. This time I made the mistake of withdrawing after add/drop, so I was on the hook for the semester.

I went to Shriver Job Corps Center from 2012 to 2013 and earned four computer certifications. Upon graduation, I looked for a job but came up empty. So I attempted to re-enroll at the university. When they asked my for my community college transcript, I got on the phone with the bursar's office and learned I had to pay my full debt before my transcript would be released.

And so I was stuck. A year later, I eventually found work at CVS/pharmacy. So I counted pills there as a pharmacy technician for fourteen months before finally finding a computer-based job. Currently, I sell computers for Best Buy and having now paid my debt to the community college, must attend there at some point soon (probably spring 2017) to get my GPA high enough to be accepted into a true university. And that's where I'm at in life as of 2016.

This summer, I found a second job at CVS (not in the pharmacy). It's not quite a step in the right direction, but I'm grateful to have found it and it'll put some money in my pocket so that I can finish saving up for my first car. From there, the next step is to attend college.

My goal in life is to break into the world of business; between managing a website (and all the advertizing and analytics that go into that) and getting a feel for microeconomics through my time as a salesman, I truly believe I have knack for understanding people and planning accordingly. So with that, I am enrolling at a local college in the spring to pursue an associate's degree in Business Administration.