Monday, September 26, 2016

Worked to Death (and then some)



               Yesterday marked my twenty-eight consecutive day of work and I had a dream that I’d died from overwork. In Heaven, a male secretary with thin glasses and a receding hairline was managing a long line of the newly dead. Once I got to the front of the line, the secretary glanced up at me and said in a dismissive tone, “Your spirit is too restless. You are to remain earthbound. Next!” And with that the clouds underneath my feet separated and I fell from Heaven and into a white house with chipping paint. It was falling apart and leant to one side.

               So I was to become a poltergeist. My victim, the owner of the house, was a bald man in his mid-fifties. Apparently, this wasn’t enough ghostly work for me and I took up a second job as a vengeful bog spirit, donning a red cloak and heading to the nearby marsh to scare teenagers. This ghoul’s work commenced each evening after the man in the dilapidated home had been spooked out of bed numerous times.

               A few weeks into this routine, my thoughts began to focus on the gentleman; something about him was oddly familiar. Why had the secretary deemed him an appropriate target for my haunting? And was I so restless that my fate was to haunt this poor fellow? The whole situation seemed foul, and not just because I was dead.

One night, on my way down from my home, the attic, to the man’s bedroom, I spotted a picture on his bureau. It was of a man in his early twenties wearing thin-rimmed silver glasses and a tired expression.  I curiously picked it up and stared at it for a few seconds, noting the coincidence that this young man and I were roughly the same age. Then it hit me! The pictured man was the male secretary! I had been set up!

It became my death’s goal to prove that the secretary had abused his power to cheat me out of my spot in Heaven and doomed me as the sleeping man’s harassing phantom for some sort of personal gain or revenge. Upon this revelation, I woke up.